Monday 20 January 2014

Tim Kreider: Starving Artists of the Internet, Unite!

This was an interesting article in the NYTimes by the insightful Tim Kreider.

Call to revolution, comrades! We shall have the best placards.

The money quote?

"Just as the atom bomb was the weapon that was supposed to render war obsolete, the Internet seems like capitalism’s ultimate feat of self-destructive genius, an economic doomsday device rendering it impossible for anyone to ever make a profit off anything again. It’s especially hopeless for those whose work is easily digitized and accessed free of charge. I now contribute to some of the most prestigious online publications in the English-speaking world, for which I am paid the same amount as, if not less than, I was paid by my local alternative weekly when I sold my first piece of writing for print in 1989."

Ouch.

I got a kick out of the article.

Check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment