Monday 27 January 2014

2013 Movie Roundup


This is a set of entirely subjective ratings, even more subjective than my usual subjective ratings. It's the kind of list that would put The Godfather beside Flash Gordon, if you follow my meaning. It's based purely on whether or not I found the film enjoyable, which sometimes depends more on mood and circumstance than the film itself. So take it in that spirit. I'm not sure I can justify my choices otherwise.

Listed in order of release (for the most part). Asterisks after the most exceptional in the category.

The Enjoyable

Gangster Squad
Jack the Giant Slayer
Room 237
Despicable Me 2
Blue Jasmine
Kick Ass 2*****
The World's End
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2
Gravity*****
12 Years a Slave*****
Dallas Buyers Club
Hunger Games: Catching Fire*****
American Hustle
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
The Wolf of Wall Street

The Painful 

Star Trek: Into Darkness
Hansel and Gretel
John Dies at the End*****
Beautiful Creatures
Dark Skies
Oz the Great and Powerful
Burt Wonderstone*****
Olympus Has Fallen
The Host*****
Wolverine
Europa Report
Mortal Instruments*****
Captain Phillips

The Meh 

Man of Steel
World War Z
Elysium
Mama
Oblivion***** 
This is the End
Monsters University
Pacific Rim
Riddick
The Fifth Estate
Blue is the Warmest Colour
Ender's Game
Thor: The Dark World
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Her
Lone Survivor

As you can see, I have questionable taste, and there are many others out there like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment